Lord Shiva is the only god who is soon pleased with the worship of his devotees. But it is important to know the method of worshipping him.
The most auspicious day of Shiva worship is Monday and a large gathering of devotees can be seen in this Shiva temples. Among all the Devas, Shiva is the only God who becomes very happy with the devotion and worship of his devotees. Shiva Bhole is considered to be Adi and Anant who is seated in every element from earth to sky and water to fire.
Many things are offered in Shiva Puja which are not offered to any other deity, such as Aank, Bilvapatra, cannabis etc.
Similarly, there are many such things in Shiva Puja which may harm you instead of giving you the fruits of your worship.
1. Turmeric: Turmeric increases the taste of catering as well as turmeric has been considered an important place in religious functions. But turmeric is not offered in the worship of Shiva. Turmeric is mainly used in cosmetics. According to the scriptures, Shivling is a symbol of masculinity, that is why turmeric is not offered to Mahadev.
2. Flowers: Shiva does not like red flowers except Kaner and Kamal. It is forbidden to offer Ketki and Kevade flowers to Shiva.
3. Kumkum or Roli: According to the scriptures, Kumkum and Roli are not applied to Shiva.
4. Shankh is prohibited in Shiva worship: Shankh is very dear to Lord Vishnu but Shiva ji killed a demon named Shankhchur, hence Shankh is considered taboo in worshiping Lord Shiva.
5. Coconut water: One should not abdicate Lord Shiva with coconut water as coconut is considered to be the form of Lakshmi, hence coconut is taken as a Prasad in all auspicious work. After being offered to Mahadev, coconut water is no longer acceptable.
6. Tulsi: Tulsi leaf should also not be offered to Lord Shiv. In this context, there is a story of Asur Raj Jalandhar, whose wife Vrinda became a plant of Tulsi. Shivaji had killed Jalandhar, so Vrinda had said not to use Tulsi leaves in the worship of Lord Shiv.
These 6 things shouldn’t be offered to Lord Shiva so now here are the things which should be offered to him.
Things to offer in Shiva worship: Water, milk, curd, honey, ghee, sugar, perfume, sandalwood, saffron, cannabis. Mixing all these things together or one thing can be offered on Shivling. It has been told in Shivpuran that bathing the Shivling with these things fulfills all desires.
10 things and their advantages we get after offering them to Shiva
1. Offering water on the Shivling while chanting mantras calms our nature. The behavior is affectionate.
2. It is said that there will be sweetness in our speechif we offer honey.
3. Offering milk provides good health to us .
4. Our behaviour gets serious if we offer curd.
5. By offering ghee on Shivling, our power increases.
6. Giving a bath with perfume to Shiv Ling makes our thoughts pure.
7. Our personality gets attractive by offering sandalwood to Shiva. Honor is received in society.
8. By offering saffron, we get mildness.
9. Our dirts and evils from inside are removed by offering cannabis.
10. Happiness and prosperity increases by offering sugar.